Hello and welcome to Performance Sport
The Performance Sport scheme at The University of Sheffield is the pinnacle of sport for our students. We commit over £60,000 in various services to supporting our Elite Sports Performance Scheme athletes in order to allow them all to succeed in their chosen sport whilst also maintaining academic excellence.
As a programme we aim to deliver an excellent student sporting experience. Our athletes have a wide range of opportunities to get involved and excel with many highly successful athletes such as
- Bryony Page (Trampoline - Olympic silver medallist, World Championship gold medallist)
- Hollie Pearne-Webb (Hockey - Olympic and European gold medallist, double Commonwealth medallist)
- Dave Wetherill (Table Tennis - three time Paralympian)
- Jazmin Sawyers (Long Jump – Commonwealth silver medallist, European Championship silver medalist and silver medallist in Bobsleigh at the Winter Youth Olympics)
- Nick Beighton (Paracanoe/Rowing – Paralympic bronze medal, World Championship and World Cup bronze medallist)
- Joy Haizelden (Wheelchair Basketball – Paralympian, U25s World Champion, two times bronze medallist at European Championships and World Championships silver medallist).
To find out more about the support available, guidance on level of competition/representation and how to apply, please use the links below.
Successful ESPS Athletes receive support as outline below depending on their level of award.
“To provide support for, and help develop, high performance athletes studying at the University of Sheffield.”
|Support||Level 1||Level 2||Catalyst Accommodation Award|
|Strength and Conditioning||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Physiotherapy||Free consultation, discounted thereafter||Free consultation, discounted thereafter||Free consultation, discounted thereafter|
|Lifestyle Mentoring (Psychology and Nutrition)||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Peak S10health Gym Membership
(Click here for benefits)
|One Year Free Accommodation||-||-||Yes*|
*Athletes must be living in the correct accommodation for that academic year in order to be eligible for this award. These accommodations include:
Birchen, Burbage, Cratclifffe, Endcliffe Crescent Flats, Crewe, Curbar, Derwent, Endcliffe Vale Flats, Froggatt, Howden, Kinder, Laddow, Lawrencefield, Millstone, Ramshaw, Ravenstone, Rivelin, Shore Court, Stanage, Stephenson, Wimberry, Windgather and Yarncliffe.
The ESPS Criteria:
Level 2 Tier:
- Senior International (GB or equivalent)
- Top Junior International (GB or equivalent)
- TASS Athlete (Has to be GB or equivalent representation)
- Sport Specific e.g. Road Cycling – Elite Category for at least 12 months
Level 1 Tier:
- International/National Representation (GB, England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland or equivalent)
- Professional/Semi-Professional/High Level Academy:
- For example:
- Rugby Union: Regular Premiership Club Academy player, regular player in a National League 1 or above club
- Rugby League: Regular Super League Academy player, regular player in a Championship or above club
- Football: Regular Academy or player at full time, professional EFL club
- Road cycling Specific – Category 1 or above
- GB Development Pathways (e.g. Rowing’s England Talent Pathway, Swimming Pathway to Podium etc.)
- High Level County (Sport dependant)
- TASS Athlete
- For example:
Please note, these criteria are guidelines, representing GB, or equivalent, as a senior international does not guarantee you a Level 2. All athletes who are awarded a place on the scheme are expected to represent The University of Sheffield wherever possible.
Please click here for the Student Athlete Participation Policy.
We are now accepting applications for the 2023 Elite Sports Performance Scheme for students who have received an offer through Clearing to study an undergraduate course at the University of Sheffield starting in September 2023.
The closing date is 1pm Tuesday 29th August 2023. Late applications will not be considered.
Click here for application form.
All applications are considered and reviewed against set criteria by the Sport Sheffield Awards Committee.
It is important to note that you will be required to re-apply each year of your studies, this isn't a rolling award. Also, applications should be accompanied by a supporting statement from a coach or NGB representative who can evidence your sporting achievements. Any applications received without the required references/evidence will not be considered for selection. More details on this will be provided upon submission of this form.
All required fields should be completed with as much detail as possible. Any questions please contact Greg Unwin, Programme & Development Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
A selection panel consisting of senior Sport Sheffield staff, professional service colleagues and Students' Union representatives will consider your application. To make a decision the panel will take into account your sporting information and achievements (based against a points system), sporting goals for the future and your supporting statement. The panel decision is final.
When making their decision, the panel will give regard to the following:
- Applicant has provided a supporting statement from a coach or NGB representative
- Applicant has clearly articulated their sporting achievements, current ranking/level and future ambitions.
- Applicant has identified clearly how the scholarship will be beneficial to her/his student experience and sporting endeavours.
- Applicant has clearly demonstrated how they will be an asset to Sport Sheffield and The University of Sheffield
Please note successful applicants will also be invited to attend an Introduction session at Sport Sheffield on September 20th.
If you have any questions regarding any area of our Performance Scheme then please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Our scheme is also funded entirely through donations and partners. To discuss a donation please contact David Meadows, Development Officer – Legacies and Individual Giving via telephone on 0114 222 1073 or email through email@example.com